Banjos: The Islander OB Ash Leaf 5 String Open Back

Choosing your axe is never easy, especially if you’re like me and want a banjo that stands out visually as well as audibly. I certainly want my next purchase to be my last for a while, if not for good, as I have been playing for a couple of years and know that this is no longer a fad, and something I want to stick at - I confess, I’m an addicted! So I’m starting to put together wish list of banjos to check out and start saving for, and remembering what my mother taught me about always buying quality, I am already setting my sights quite high.

Currently at the top of my list is the Islander OB Ash Leaf, which I consider to be a work of art. She’s a real beaut, handmade using Ash for the body and Maple for the neck, gives her the persona of a playful brunette, capable of turning any head that catches a glimpse of her in the corner of their eye. Everything else is elegantly understated, and traditional, which really puts the grain of the Ash rim on center stage. As far as sound and playability goes, well I’m gonna have to get back to you on that one, as I’m off to try one out at Banjos Direct later this month, and I’ll be sure to let you know.

You can read more about the Islander OB Ash Leaf at Banjos Direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog Swindlestock - Listen to the new EP on myspace

About Me

I have been playing guitar for over 20 years, at first playing in indie bands, followed by a long stint playing rockabilly on the streets of Oxford, a short excursion into dance music, followed by looking at early blues styles. Now after a few years of listening to Dylan, Guthrie, and early Americana I find myself in possession of a banjo, and I'm addicted! Currently I play Banjo and Guitar in an Oxford based group called Swindlestock, you can hear our music our myspace page.

Listen to my favorite Banjo songs on we7.com